In case you haven't heard, today is National Social Media Day! As a Digital Marketing Agency that prides itself on providing premium brands the best in social media strategy, it is a big day for us! Throughout the four years that Ghost Media has been in business, we've carefully watched how Social Media has influenced the marketing landscape. We were so inspired by it, in fact, that we decided to make it our specialty.
Here are 10 reasons why we love social media, as if you didn't already have enough!
1. For the first time, social media allows brands to connect with their audience in a real-time and authentic way. Before social media, you needed to call a hotline and wait 20 minutes before being transferred twice to someone who could actually provide you with customer service. Now conversing with brands you love, and brands being able to converse back is as simple as sending a tweet.
2. Social Media Influencers have become a tour-de-force when it comes to influencing purchases. Before it seemed like only celebrities had the power to align themselves with a brand and influence the public to care. Now social media influencers inform purchases almost as much as family and friends. According to Twitter, 49% of those surveyed reported that the look to social media influencers for "guidance on purchasing decisions." This is second only to friends and family members who 56% reported they turn to for guidance.
3. It is constantly changing! A few months ago Snapchat still seemed like a flash in the pan. Now it has surpassed Twitter and Instagram in unique daily viewers. Social Media means we're always learning something new; which keeps this job exciting!
4. People are able to feel more emotionally connected to brands, business, and restaurants. Through social media allowing people to tag locations and geo-tag photos, the general public is able to feel as though they're a part of the brands and communities they love.
5. You're never bored the minute you get to work to the minute you leave thanks to Social Media. How could you be? You're able to engage in real-time conversations about trending topics.
6. People crowd-source content more than ever now. With social media allowing people to pull inspiration from various sources at all time, new and innovative content is building and evolving constantly. The idea of fresh ideas has been killed by the internet, but that has never stopped us from finding new and inventive ways to share a story.
7. Brands are able to pull data from social media interactions and can learn to adjust their strategies based off this data. Meaning, your favorite brands are constantly on the pulse of their audience and adjusting their marketing and product efforts to reflect that feedback.
8. So much good can come from social media, despite reports that is has turned us all into zombies with no social skills. GoFundMe campaigns have saved lives, and crowdfunding projects has allowed people without strong financial footings to build their ideas. In short, social media has affected our real world in ways we are only slowly beginning to understand.
9. No one has to feel alone anymore. With social media connecting so many different types of people with different interests, everyone finally feels like they have a community they can speak to.
10. At it's core, social media is fun. Even though it began as a way to share pictures of your babies and cats, it has evolved into a constantly shifting conversation that connects us with everyone in the world. Whether Beyonce is dropping a new album, or everyone is mourning a terrible loss, social media allows us to all feel like we're contributing to the world's conversations. No one is silenced with social media, and for that we're grateful.